Interesting Facts & Statistics
- Greensboro covers a total area of 131.2 square miles, with 126.7 square miles being covered by land, and 4.5 square miles being covered by water.
- Greensboro consists of 48.4% Whites, 40.6% African Americans, 4.0% Asian Americans, and 7% other races
- Major corporations headquartered in Greensboro include Honda Aircraft Company, Columbia Forest Products, Lorillard Tobacco Company, and other notable companies.
- Greensboro public schools serve 71,000 students in grades K-12
- Greensboro has 3 nicknames that include Tournament Town, Gate City, & The Boro
- Greensboro was a key location for sit-ins during the Civil Rights Movement
Current Events & Attractions in Greensboro
- Annual PGA Golf Tournament
- The International Civil Rights Center and Museum
- Hagan Stone Park
- Guilford Courthouse National Military Park
- The Greensboro Science Center
- The Greensboro Children’s Museum
- Wet ‘n Wild Emerald Pointe
- Greensboro is home to over 90 miles of trails both paved and unpaved.
- The 3 main lakes in Greensboro include Lake Brandt, Lake Higgins, and Lake Townsend, and they all three offer activities such as fishing, boating, special events, and environmental programs for local residents and visitors.
Greensboro Community Statistics
- Greensboro has a population of 695,327, with 278,438 households
- 54.1% of residents in Greensboro are childless, whereas 45.9% have children that are 18 and under
- There are 34% renters in Greensboro, compared to 66% of those who own their homes.
- Rental vacancy rates in Greensboro are 13%.
- The median age is 37.6 years old
- Median household income is $44,657 in Greensboro, compared to $52,175 for all adult U.S. Residents
- Per capita income is $24,963 locally, compared to $27,466 for all adult U.S. Residents
- The median home value in Greensboro is $135,900
- 11% of all housing in Greensboro is valued at $300,000 or more
- 82% of Greensboro residents have a high school diploma, and 25% of residents have a 4 year college degree.
Greensboro Rental Statistics
- In 2014, the average monthly rent amount in Greensboro was $745 per month for a single family home, and $625 for a 1 bedroom apartment.
- 19% of Greensboro residents pay 30% or more of their annual household income in rent.
- As of 2013, 34% of Greensboro residents were renters, compared to 36.98% of renters in the U.S.
- Owner average household size is 2.5 people, compared to 2.3 for renters
- The rent to price ratio in Greensboro is 0.5%.