Skip to Content

Get a FREE assessment of your rental property. Start here!

Get a FREE assessment of your rental property. Start here!

Is Your Rental Property a Potential Hazard to Your Tenants?

Winston-Salem Tenant Looking at Mold in His Rental HomeIt’s crucial for your tenants to feel secure and at home in their rental property as a Winston-Salem property manager. Guaranteeing a tenant’s safety can reduce vacancies and increase a building’s cash flow. However, if you do not take special precautions, a number of potentially hazardous conditions can arise without your knowledge. Let’s look at five of the most prevalent home dangers that, if not addressed, could seriously harm or even kill your tenants. It’s vital to be aware of the typical household hazards and how to avoid them if you want to make sure that your rental property is safe for your tenants.

Toxic Mold

Molds grow in moist environments where food sources, such as cardboard or paper, are present. A musty odor is frequently produced by mold, and for most people, this is the first indication. There are numerous types of mold, the majority of which are unsightly but not particularly hazardous to humans. Black mold, or Stachybotrys, on the other hand, can be poisonous. In extreme cases, it may cause anaphylactic shock, respiratory distress, and allergic reactions.

The good news is that it’s relatively simple to stop mold from growing in a rental property. Mold can be prevented from growing on your property by simply running exhaust fans in steamy bathrooms, opening the windows, or installing a dehumidifier in the basement. Don’t forget to inform and warn your tenants about the dangers of mold. Furthermore, you should conduct routine mold inspections of your home. If the worst should happen and you discover black mold, it’s critical to call in a professional right away who can remove it safely and address the source of the moisture that initially caused the mold.

Asbestos

There is no question that asbestos is a serious issue, particularly for older rental properties. As long as the asbestos is found within walls or other enclosed areas, it is relatively safe, provided that it is not disturbed. If your rental property’s walls contain asbestos, you must inform your tenant not to drill or otherwise create openings in the walls, even to hammer in a nail. Even small gaps could allow asbestos to enter a home and cause mesothelioma.

Only trained experts with the appropriate licenses should remove asbestos. You shouldn’t attempt to remove it yourself or let a tenant do it in order to prevent accidents and diseases associated with asbestos.

Lead Poisoning

Lead is another substance that could be dangerous and is often found in older rental homes. Before it was outlawed in 1978, lead paint was frequently used in older homes. Even if you painted over the old paint, paint can flake off as homes age, exposing your tenants’ children, pets, and you to toxic lead. In other cases, lead poisoning is also caused by old pipes.

To prevent lead poisoning, you should have the plumbing and water in your rental property thoroughly inspected for lead. Additionally, it’s a good idea to have your paint tested and removed by experts trained to do so safely if your property was built before 1978. While covering lead paint with new paint is a temporary workaround, the only way to ensure that your tenants are lead-safe is to completely remove the old paint from all impacted surfaces.

Fire

In the United States, residential fires are all too frequent. Unfortunately, residential fires can be fatal. On average, more than 346,000 000 residential fires occur each year, resulting in 2,620 civilian fatalities. The main cause of fires that start in the laundry room is dryer lint, while oil and other ingredients contribute to cooking fires. Other major causes of home fires include faulty appliances, electrical problems, and unattended candles.

There are several things you should do to keep fires from starting in your rental property. First, do everything possible to ensure that your rental property is devoid of electrical problems, and have the dryer vent cleaned annually. Second, give them fire extinguishers, functional smoke detectors, and other necessities, and instruct them on fire safety, as well. By taking these simple precautions, you can significantly reduce the likelihood that your rental property will catch fire.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is another typical home hazard. Burning fuels like charcoal, propane, wood, and other substances release carbon monoxide, an odorless and colorless gas. Carbon monoxide can accumulate in an enclosed space if appliances and engines that use these fuels are not adequately ventilated, resulting in carbon monoxide poisoning. Headaches, nausea, blurred vision, and confusion are all potential symptoms of mild carbon monoxide poisoning. Extreme carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to irreversible tissue damage or even death.

Proper maintenance and tenant education can help to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. Regular maintenance is essential for fireplaces and appliances that use any of the above fuels. In addition, install carbon monoxide detectors all across your rental property to warn you and your tenants of any potential dangers. If your rental property has a garage or your tenants have a propane grill or heater, it’s a good idea to make sure they understand they must not leave a car running or use a propane device in an enclosed area. Your tenants might benefit from some basic safety education to prevent illness and worse.

While doing research on every potential income property is a lot of work, Real Property Management of the Triad can help lighten your load. We offer free rental property analyses for investors, which can help you more easily identify whether the income property you want to buy is a profitable option. Contact us online or call us at 336-355-6677 or 336-777-7444 to learn more!

We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.